Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Life gets in the way

Suicide by Cop by Geri Hagler

Report: Deputies arrive,
male subject armed,
pointing gun,
officer: “Drop the gun!”
officer thinking, “Please drop the gun,
I don’t want to shoot this guy, I don’t want to shoot this guy.”
officer: “Drop the gun, drop the gun, drop the gun!”
male subject: silent
male subject thinking: “Shoot me for Christ sake!
Why doesn’t this idiot just shoot me.  I’ll show everyone,
They’ll be sorry, it’s all their fault.”
male subject: stepped toward the deputy and raised his….
officer shoots,
the witnesses: the woman screams,
the six year old is paralyzed, mouth and eyes opened beyond wide
in a silence – so much violence
Letter to the officer
Dear officer involved in this shooting,
                I am so sorry that you had this experience. My worry is that you will hesitate
the next time
and you cannot,
please be assured you did the right thing, nothing you could have done differently,
how do I know?
That was my brother.
I used to think that if I gave him all the love I had….”There’s just not enough love in the world,”
sang Don Henley on the stereo and I nodded, just not enough.
Every single one of us have second guessed and thought, what should we have done,
what could be have done?  Every single one of us has battled with guilt and tried, and tried,
and tried and
he burned every one of us over and over and over.
At the news, flash
Oh, his poor son, his poor daughters,
Oh, those poor witnesses,
Oh, I’m so glad my father and my mother are dead,
this would have killed them,
Oh my God, I’m not feeling bad
Oh no, the poor officer
Dear officer involved in this shooting,
                I do not blame you. I am so sorry.
Sincerely,
older sister

7 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say except I'm sorry. Thank you for allowing us in through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't be sorry. Writing this type of poetry is the only way I know how to process. My brother is alive. He is being kept in a coma state, but to what end? I am sorry to say his survival will not be a positive thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geri,
    Sorry for the sad poem, but I'm thankful you shared this with us.
    By the way, I put your Dylan Thomas poem on my blog because it is SO cool. THanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you showed us not only your point of view but a glimpse of the cop's and your brother's as well. I can fell their pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant... I FEEL their pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Geri. I actually read this on Friday, but have been trying to find what I want to say. I decided that all I want to say is "Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your words."

    ReplyDelete