Thursday, July 7, 2011

Falk article by Geri

This is the second article I read that referenced Moffett.  Like Emig, Falk says that language acquisition is a natural thing.  In class we've discussed that writing instruction is linear, whereas thinking and actually writing is not necessarily linear; we need to know what literacy skills students come in with and the way in which they learn best. We've said that teaching 'process' is not always effective or good practice. In Falk, she clearly states that the formal study of grammar has little to no positive effect in improving students' writing.  She believes the way my father did that a great many English teachers killed off any desire or ability to write in a great many talented students. I know I should spend the time writing instead of teaching transitive versus intransitive verbs, but I also know that grammar is required for me to teach and that I will continue to do so. That said,  I will make a concerted effort to give more time to writing and less time to direct objects. Falk's article seems so obvious, so intuitive and I want to say, "Duh", but I realize that she is an authority and these things must be written by one with credibilty for the world to read. My favorite part is the validation that children and adults should be allowed to make errors because that is the only way one can develop and truly learn, and no one should be punished or discouraged when they do make errors. This was a powerful, clearly written piece.

4 comments:

  1. It is nice to see that you are getting something from the SI, and taking the time to reconsider the way you teach. I think I am finding that just the thinking about my practice is a step further than I would have gone before I met all you wonderful people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way that you are examining your practice is inspiring to me. I don't know if I would agree that writing instruction is linear. Please help me understand what you mean by that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is often taught as do this, then this, then that, as opening, body, conclusion, as outline, write, revise, rewrite, instead of starting in the middle and working to both ends and revise as we go. I've been taught to teach writing in a linear way, but it is not the way I really write. I just start and then I'm revising and rewriting the whole time. I'm glad to be given support that I don't need to teach writing in a linear way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your father's comment about English teachers! Part of my fear of sharing is from an English teacher who ridiculed students mercilessly if they made a mistake. I would get physically sick before going to class and pray the whole time in class that she wouldn't call on me! The good news... it's made me more compassionate to my own students. :)

    ReplyDelete